Getting Serious About Cereals
Grains and cereals are an essential part of South African agriculture. According to a report1 by AgriSETA, the cultivation of grains and cereals contribute 10% to the total agricultural sector and is the third largest of the 11 agri-subsectors.
Successful grain and cereal producers need to keep a balance between looking at the bigger picture and concentrating on the smaller details. This can be a tricky balancing act for even the most innovative and hard-working farmer. Fortunately, through our partnership with Manvert, we can lighten the load by making sure that the micro details are taken care of. This, of course, are the micronutrients your crops need to thrive.
If it’s micro how much of a difference can it make?
There are at least 7 micronutrients that are essential to cultivating healthy crops. These are iron, manganese, boron, molybdenum, zinc, magnesium and copper. Although these nutrients are needed in such trace amounts, their absence can heavily impact crop yield, quality and increase a crop’s susceptibility to disease.
What is the effect of micronutrient deficiencies on cereals and grains?
It’s easy to underestimate the vital role trace elements play in the success of crops. Manganese is required to activate metabolic enzymes in plants, and zinc is important for healthy root development. Copper is required during growth and fertility (for eg. the number of grains per ear), aids in photosynthesis, carbon and nitrogen metabolism, and is linked to a plant’s defensive response to pests and disease. If these trace elements are unavailable, key crops such as wheat and maize may produce lower yields.
The Remitto Solution
Our partnership with Manvert ensures that we are able to provide producers with the most innovative and relevant agrichemical technology such as Manvert’s Complex. This liquid fertilizer is specifically formulated with the seven micronutrients to aid in the rebalancing of the most essential micronutrient deficiencies which can arise in plants.
Micronutrients are required throughout the lifecycle of plants to ensure healthy growth and thus Manvert Complex can be applied at any time to prevent deficiencies. The unique formulation and Lignovert Tech technology allows for Complex to also be applied to the soil or as a foliar application through any fertigation system.
The tech behind Complex
The inherit properties of micro-elements such as copper, magnesium, zinc, iron and manganese may hinder the absorption and distribution throughout plants. This means that these elements require some help getting into the plant and moving to where it’s needed. Lignovert Tech is Manvert’s own delivery system that makes the following possible:
- Micro-nutrients are immediately released because of the unique complexing agent in the form of lignosulphonic acid. Because the lignosulphonic acid is natural origins (cellulose in wood), it is recognised by the plant and the micronutrients are immediately absorbed and released within the plant. Other complexing or chelating agents first need to be broken down before the micronutrients can be absorbed by the plant.
- Bio-available micronutrients, meaning better absorption.
- Helps achieve a higher concentration of the complex elements with balanced molecular weight.
- Readily miscible in water for improved distribution.
- It decreases the surface tension of pulverised water that also improves the distribution of the product on the plant’s leaf.
- Highly compatible with other products applied simultaneously to save time and money.
Want to know more about Manvert Complex? For more information about Complex or any other Manvert products, please contact your nearest Remitto agent today. Remitto is a proud stockist of the Manvert range in South Africa.